French FLES Program
What is FLES?
- FLES stands for Foreign Language in Elementary School. The model is one that emphasizes learning content students already learn but in a different language. This allows students to simultaneously develop basic communication skills in the target language while reinforcing the core curriculum.
- What makes it effective?
- Literacy skills transfer between languages
- Students tend to be more attentive – they learn to listen more carefully
- It enhances cognitive and problem-solving skills
- Many modern-day English words can trace their origins to French; students connect language similarities to build vocabulary
French: a global language
- Knowledge of French enhances literacy and acquisition of English.
- French provides the base for more than 50% of the modern English vocabulary
- French represents diverse cultures around the world.
- It is used on five continents and in more than 50 countries, 30 of which are in Africa.
- French is one of the six official languages of the United Nations.
- French is frequently taught worldwide.
- French is one of the most commonly used languages in the business world.
- French and French-speakers’ achievements in literature, arts, music, environmental sciences, diplomacy and government, mathematics, and sports allow many connections to content through French.